How To Justice

What is a Hardship Transfer Request?

What is a Hardship Transfer Request?

If you have a medical problem that makes it hard to visit a loved one who is in jail, you can ask for a transfer. In most states, loved ones have to request these transfers. The Bureau of Prisons (BOP) has specific guidelines for where they house inmates. It’s important to know how to write a hardship transfer request if you want an inmate moved closer to you.

What Should You Know About a Hardship Transfer Request?

A hardship transfer request is a letter asking for an inmate to move to a closer prison. There are rules for state and federal prisons. Staff have to think about many things before they can transfer an inmate. All prisoners have a security level. This means that inmates have to stay in a prison that matches their level. Staff also have to look at the programs that an inmate needs. If the jail closest to you does not have the right programs, they may not transfer your loved one.

While the BOP tries to house all inmates within 500 miles of loved ones, this is not always possible. Inmates can ask for transfers, but they need a good reason. Medical hardships are one major reason for inmate transfers. When a close relative has a medical problem that stops them from visiting, BOP and other prisons look at how to move the inmate closer.

How to write a hardship transfer request.
Image courtesy of marianne bos on Unsplash.

How Do You Write a Good Hardship Request Letter?

To write a good hardship transfer request letter, you need to know the rules for the prison where your loved one is. In most cases, the prison needs to know what your hardship is and how long it will last. Some good things to include:

  • Medical issue
  • Relationship
  • Proof of issue
  • Current distance to prison
  • Closer prison option

Understand how to write a hardship request to a prison.
Image courtesy of National Cancer Institute on Unsplash.

Prison staff need proof that your medical problem prevents you from visiting. This should come from your doctor. It should include the doctor’s name and be on the doctor’s letterhead. You also need to show that your loved one is more than 200 miles away. Only immediate family can make a hardship transfer request. You have to show that you are grandparent, parent, sibling, child, or spouse of the inmate. No one else can make a hardship transfer request.

Are There Reasons the Prison Would Deny Your Transfer Request?

Yes, there are certain reasons that staff might deny your transfer request. The biggest reason is that an inmate has major disciplinary problems.

Prisons will not transfer inmates who get in trouble or break the rules often. Some inmates also have higher security restrictions. This can make it hard for a closer prison to house them.

Of course, there other reasons that staff might deny your request. If you do not show proof of your hardship, they can’t grant your request. They also can’t grant requests from inmates. All hardship transfers must come from an immediate family member. They also have to show that no one else can bring you to the prison where your inmate stays.

The Takeaway:

You can make a hardship transfer request if you have a medical problem that makes it hard to travel. This request has to come from an immediate family member of the person in prison. It also has to include proof of the hardship. You can get help with your request to make sure you have everything you need.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Legal Disclaimer: How to Justice cannot provide legal advice, representation, referrals, research or guidance. Nothing on this page is intended to or may be relied on as legal advice. If you or a loved one believe you need legal advice, you should contact an attorney.